NZISM Privacy Statement
At the New Zealand Institute of Safety Management Incorporated (‘NZISM’) we value the individual members, supporters and communities that we interact with and take pride in bringing you a premium service that supports your health and safety professional development pathway. In order to do this, we must gather personal information from you to identify you, record various engagements with NZISM and track your progress.
We understand how important your personal information is and that we need to earn your trust by being honest and transparent about what we do. It’s our job to ensure you really understand what information we collect from you, how we use it, how we disclose it and how we keep it safe. We take our commitment to your privacy seriously.
We are committed to complying with privacy laws and standards. For information about the New Zealand Privacy Act 2020 and how it protects all personal information in New Zealand, click here.
What kinds of information does NZISM collect?
We gather information for many reasons but ultimately it allows us to develop, tailor and deliver our services, and track your progression through our accreditation programme and professional development pathway. We will not collect personal information unless it is for a lawful purpose that is connected with one of our functions or activities, and having that information is necessary for that purpose.
The information we gather includes the following types of information about our users, including you:
1. Personal information provided by you when you interact with us. This may be when you register as a member or corporate supporter, or register for an event or continuing professional development engagement, and when you provide us with your feedback or respond to surveys you are asked to participate in.
2. General location information (e.g. your physical or postal address and your associated branch)
3. Additional information about you that is requested on sign up such as gender, occupation, employment status, age, secondary contact information, ethnicity etc. You may choose not to provide this information to us by selecting N/A in these categories.
4. Aggregated information generated by our systems or third-party systems we use, which track traffic to and from our sites but does not relate to you personally (this information is generally anonymised, but may include the device, you’re using, your IP address, and your geo-demographic information).
5. Other information that does not personally identify you.
If you choose not to provide us with this information, we may not be able to provide you with the relevant products and services.
Who does NZISM share my information with?
We may need to share or disclose:
2. Aggregated tracking information (that is information about our users that we anonymise and combine so that it no longer identifies any individual user) and other information that does not personally identify you to third parties (such as our insurers and corporate supporters) for business purposes such as helping with market analysis, member profiling, marketing, and advertising.
3. Information such as website usage data, click stream information, and information about your interactions with NZISM digital promotional material. These third parties may use such non-personal information to improve their own services consistent with their own privacy policies.
4. Your personal information to third parties when we believe in good faith that we are required to do so by law.
5. Any personal information that you have authorised NZISM to share to other members via individual registration to internal membership databases that may exist for circulation to other members.
How might NZISM use my information?
We use the information we collect for many reasons that support and enable us to provide our services, from ensuring we understand our members and how they engage with us, to informing our marketing and helping to target specific topics and events that are relevant to our members.
We may use the personal information we collect from you:
1. For verification of your identity and assisting you in case you forget your password or login details where these are necessary to access any of our services.
2. For authorising and processing credit card transactions which you enter into online. Credit and debit card information is sensitive information and we do not collect it or store it. We use third party payment solution providers and only engage those that comply with strict industry standards and security processes.
3. To assist in providing products and services to you, including by sending you communications relating to your NZISM membership.
4. To provide information to you about other websites, products and services, which we consider may be of interest to you.
5. To identify and prevent harm to us or others, including detecting fraud, spam, data security incidents, and other harmful activity.
6. To measure and improve our marketing, promotions and publicity, including carrying out direct marketing, market research and surveys.
7. For any other uses that you authorise.
We will take reasonable steps to ensure that any information we use or disclose is accurate, up to date, complete, relevant, and not misleading.
What happens if I interact with any of NZISM’s content providers, advertisers or partners?
When you use our website, you may interact with third parties that advertise with us or provide content or link through our sites. We do not control them or what they do and if you provide them with personal information, even while using our sites or services, they may not follow the same privacy policies as us. We recommend you check any relevant privacy policies before providing your personal information to any third party.
How is cookie information used?
We may use the information generated by cookies or similar tools to:
1. Track traffic patterns to and from and across our site such as the pages you visit, the time you spend on each page, the date and time of your visit, and referring pages (pages you came from or go to).
2. Enable you to use certain services as a member without having to log on each time and to visit member-restricted areas of the site.
To the extent we are aware a user is based in the European Union, we do not use, collect, or store tracking data for interest-based advertising purposes.
How can you control cookies and the cookie information we collect?
What ways can you control the personal information we collect from you?
You may access or modify your profile at any time on your user profile page. You can also request us to correct any information we have if you think it is wrong.
1.Opt out prior to signing up for a service and not receive certain services or participate in certain interactive areas; or
2. Opt in prior to signing up for a service.
You also may opt out from receiving these messages at any time by following the unsubscribe instructions contained in the message. Once you have unsubscribed, our Third Party email software will automatically suppress your email address from future communications using that email distribution list.
How safe is my information?
It is essential to us that you trust us and are comfortable sharing your information with us. We understand how important your personal information is and so our goal is to ensure that privacy protection and data security is paramount in all aspects of our data infrastructure and processes.
We design our services with your safety in mind. We maintain industry standard security technology which we monitor routinely. We have a third-party provider whose security meets our standards.
At the same time, no service can be completely secure. If you have any concerns that an account you have with us or personal information has been put at risk, for example if someone could have found out your password, please get in touch straight away by emailing email@example.com.
How can I find out what personal information NZISM holds and how can I update it or request deletion?
Any personal information that you provide to us will be collected and managed by us. Our address is PO Box 128532, Remuera, Auckland 1541. We will keep your personal information for as long as reasonably required for the purposes we collected it and in accordance with this policy unless we are required to hold it for longer under law.
Under the Privacy Act 2020 you have the right to ask us for access to the personal information that we hold about you. You may also ask us to update or correct that information at any time and as often as necessary. If you want us to delete information about you or suspend your account, please note that we may need to retain certain information as required by law or for legitimate business purposes. If you withdraw your permission to use your personal information, unless there are other reasons that mean the information must be retained, we will delete that information. However, when you unsubscribe from marketing communications, we will keep your email address to ensure that we do not send you any marketing in the future. We only keep your personal information for as long as it is required for the purposes set out in this policy and for other purposes for which the information may lawfully be used.
If you want to find out what personal information NZISM holds about you, please feel free to contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to NZISM, PO Box 128532, Remuera, AKL 1541, New Zealand.
What if there is a Privacy Breach?
If NZISM has a privacy breach that involves your personal information and is likely to cause you or someone else serious harm, we are legally required to notify the Privacy Commissioner under the Privacy Act 2020. We will also notify you and any other affected people as soon as practicable.
Can NZISM make changes to this policy? How will I find out?