Job Reference: APA/1675214
About this role
- Enhance and advance our health and safety management practices
- Work for an organisation that is committed to health and safety
- Full time permanent position based at Waikeria Prison
- Salary - $75,829 - $107,052
'Kotahi anō te kaupapa, ko te oranga o te iwi' – ‘There is only one purpose to our work: the wellness and wellbeing of our people.
At Ara Poutama Aotearoa, we run one of the country's most complex and high-risk organisations and we've put health, safety and wellbeing at the heart of what we do. Our Chief Executive was named ‘Leader of the Year' at the 2022 Safeguard Health & Safety Awards – a reflection of his personal commitment to, and ownership of, health, safety and wellbeing. Our national 2020-2024 Health, Safety and Wellbeing Plan is focused on improving the way we manage our critical health and safety risks, building leadership and capability, enhancing how we learn from normal work and unwanted events, and designing work and systems so that people are safe and well.
Ara Poutama Aotearoa is a unique, 24/7 business operating from 151 sites across Aotearoa. We also deliver instructional and rehabilitation programmes in high-risk industries, such as construction, engineering and agriculture.
Mō te tūnga | About the role
Our Safety & Wellbeing team have an opportunity for a Health & Safety Adviser to be based at Waikeria Prison. The Health & Safety Adviser provides health and safety advice and support to the Prison Director, frontline leaders and frontline staff to improve management of critical health and safety risks, integration of critical safety systems, proactive learning from work, controls and unexpected events, and continuous improvement.
This opportunity calls for resilient and passionate health and safety professionals who are comfortable handling multiple priorities, dealing with complexities, and can build positive relationships as a trusted advisor to leaders & frontline staff. Our Safety & Wellbeing group are shifting their, and the organisation's, practices towards a Safety II/Resilience Engineering philosophy and are keen to hear from professionals who are excited about a different way of supporting operational performance and resilience, rather than a focus on simple compliance.
Waikeria Prison is set in a 1200-hectare site near Te Awamutu in the Waikato. It is one of the country's largest prisons and as such has a diverse risk profile that is derived from the management of the people in custody, industry training and employment opportunities that include kitchens, large dairy farm, horticulture, asset maintenance, and distribution.
By joining our S&W function at Ara Poutama Aotearoa you will get access to our new Continuing Professional Development (CPD) programme which we are investing significantly in. We want our people to be at the forefront of new health and safety thinking and become future experts and leaders their field.
Ngā pūkenga e kimi ana mātou | Skills we look for
If you are motivated by the opportunity to enhance and advance our health and safety activities, practices and cultures, then we want to hear from you! Submit an online application that clearly outlines evidence or examples of how you meet the following requirements:
- Experience in provision of health and safety advice and guidance, ideally across large and complex organisations
- Good technical experience, ideally with a background in a high-risk industry
- Knowledge of applied best practice in health and safety business partnering, including health and safety assurance and techniques for learning from unexpected events (e.g., Learning Teams)
- Ability to apply analysis and logic to find fresh, innovative ways to solve problems. Takes an objective approach and considers multiple options rather than seeking only information which supports a particular viewpoint
- Experience in delivery of health and safety work programmes, including supporting business teams to implement and apply health and safety policies and procedures
- Strong level of cultural capability and awareness, able to work effectively with diverse groups of people
- A positive and proactive communication style, confidence speaking to a variety of stakeholders.
A relevant tertiary qualification and / or relevant experience in providing formal health and safety advice and guidance is also a requirement.
Tono ināianei | Apply now
Appointment into this exciting opportunity will take place in early 2023.
To apply, submit your CV and a tailored cover letter online that describes your motivation for wanting to join Ara Poutama Aotearoa and that outlines your relevant skills, experience and personal qualities in line with the essential criteria requirements of this role.
Applications will close on Sunday 13 November.