At Wellington Zoo, we are the Zoo with the biggest heart: a creative, innovative and progressive zoo. We are a team of powerfully passionate individuals who are champions for the welfare of all animals - within and beyond the boundaries of the Zoo. We are guided by our kaupapa, “Me Tiaki, Kia Ora!” We must look after our environment, so all life will flourish.
About the role-
Wellington Zoo is a unique workplace and a safety critical site. Everyone has a fundamental responsibility to ensure the safety and wellbeing of all working in and visiting the Zoo. The foundation for our Zoo Strategy – Oranga is about a creating and maintaining a healthy organisation. As part of Oranga, we aim to lead the way in Health and Safety and engage all our team in promoting a positive safety conscious culture and embed wellbeing for our people.
Currently our Safety, Assets & Sustainability Team have a vacancy for a Health & Safety Lead to join them on a permanent basis. The Health & Safety Lead will report to General Manager Safety, Assets & Sustainability, and the successful candidate will be responsible for promoting a positive safety culture at the Zoo by engaging staff in the health and safety processes, by recognising and celebrating good health and safety practices and by delivering best practice – always striving for continuous improvement at the Zoo.
The Health & Safety Lead will work across the strategic, technical and operational framework for health and safety. They will be responsible co-ordinating the Zoo’s health and safety management systems, programmes and processes, ensuring risk is mitigated, and that health and safety policies, practices and performance of the Zoo is monitored and reviewed on an ongoing basis.
What we’re looking for in an applicant-
- A relevant tertiary qualification or equivalent skills and experience, including a thorough understanding of legislative requirements
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Experience working with hazard management systems and accident and incident investigation, including root cause analysis
- Strong analytical skills, ability to provide strategic advice and operate within a collaborative framework consisting of internal and external stakeholders
- Sound computer skills and proficiency using Microsoft Office applications and experience with online Health & Safety reporting software
- Be a people person capable of motivating, training and supporting others and creating an organisational culture of wellbeing and safety
What we’re offering as an employer-
- The opportunity to be part of a passionate and committed team that is dedicated to animal welfare, sustainability initiatives, community engagement and conservation outcomes.
- An exciting and varied place to work.
- Five days Conservation Leave per year of employment to work on a conservation project.
- Sick leave entitlement from the start of employment.
- An extra accrued week of annual leave after 5 years continuous service.
- Yearly allocation of Zoo passes and Zoo Close Encounters that can be shared with family and friends.
- Zoo product discounts.
- The ability to walk around and enjoy the Zoo every day.
- Annual flu vaccinations.
For more information about this great opportunity please download the Job Description from our careers page. To submit your application please visit https://wellingtonzoo.com/careers/.
Applicants for this position should have or be able to attain NZ residency or a valid NZ work permit.
Applications must be received by Sunday 9th May 2021