• Innovative utilities company
• Work life balance with hybrid working (3 days on site/office)
• Implement and lead with a mix of strategy and operational work
Competitive salary and benefits + one week ‘wellness leave’ per annum
Lead and drive ongoing improvement initiatives within the Health, Safety and Environmental spectrum, ensuring a professional and elevated standard across all areas.
All applicants will be required to provide proof of their eligibility to work in New Zealand.
About the company
Our client stands at the forefront of utility services in Australia and New Zealand, specialising in innovative metering and data solutions that elevate digital and new energy services. As a leading provider in multi-utility services spanning electricity, gas, and water networks, they serve a diverse clientele, including residential, commercial, industrial, embedded network, and solar metering customers.
About the role
As the NZ HSE Leader reporting to the GM of Operations NZ, you will spearhead the design and implementation of the HSE plan, ensuring robust identification, assessment, control, and monitoring of HSE risks. This pivotal role extends to maintaining health and safety as the paramount focus for New Zealand's leadership team, managers and staff.
As the Company continues to expand into new markets, you will drive the development of innovative HSE systems and processes. Additionally, you will establish a new HSE capability within the company’s wholly owned subsidiary company.
Functioning at a senior leadership tier, this role entails close collaboration with the Group HSE Manager and leadership team, spanning Australia and NZ. Your capacity for innovative thinking and introducing fresh ideas to the team will empower you to truly stand out as the leader of the HSE function in New Zealand.
Your core responsibility is to drive a culture of proactive safety and continual improvement, ensuring the prioritisation of Health, Safety, and Environment (HSE). You will be required to provide expert advice and thought leadership on NZ HSE strategy, performance and outcomes.
• Manage and develop the HSE operational assurance and audit systems, ensuring best practice for contractors, suppliers and customers
• Develop, review, implement, and monitor all HSE systems, policies, and risk programs
• Lead key Group and NZ-specific HSE initiatives, to uplift capability
• Assess performance, identify gaps, and prioritise actions
• Promote a safe and healthy work environment - continuous improvement mindset
Skills and experience
You will be degree qualified in occupational health and safety or a relevant discipline with direct experience managing health and safety operations at a senior leadership level, within New Zealand.
Armed with robust interpersonal and relationship-building skills you will be ready to take charge and lead with passion, energy, utilising your history of success.
• Proven track record in health and safety - navigating and excelling in utilities, manufacturing, or highly regulated operations, demonstrating expertise in complex, agile, and dynamic settings
• Extensive knowledge of industry-relevant legislation and best practice
• Proficient in HSE reporting systems, such as Safety Culture.
• Exhibit unwavering personal integrity and professionalism, making honest, fair, impartial, and timely decisions with diligence.
• Proficiency in managing multiple stakeholders to achieve stated outcomes.
• Proven and successful experience with influencing at senior management level
• Experience developing innovative solutions and contributing to strategic planning.
• Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel.
With approx. 400 dedicated employees across Australia and New Zealand, our client places a premium on prioritising their people. Embracing core values of diversity and inclusion, they are deeply committed to equal opportunities for all employees, fostering a positive, safe, and well-balanced workplace environment.
• Hybrid role with three days in the office or on site
• Additional one week leave per year for wellness (staggered)
How to apply
If you meet the above criteria, we welcome your application including your CV and cover letter in Word format. If you have any questions, please call Suzanne on +64 21 1010 691 quoting reference #3850.
There are no visa/sponsorship opportunities available with this role. This is a permanent position, therefore only applicants with full, valid, permanent working rights will be considered.
Not quite what you are looking for?
Please register for ongoing opportunities at www.edenfx.co.nz
edenfx HSE – New Zealand’s Leading Health and Safety Recruitment Specialist
HSE People recruiting HSE People